Wednesday, March 4, 2009

On my iPod

While I am at work, I like to listen to books on my iPod. I got this habit of listening to books from my dad who is notorious for his audiobooks habit. He cannot leave Barnes & Noble without a new audiobook. I found that on iTunes they have many audiobooks for a cheaper price than getting them on CD and it is easier to just put them on your iPod then. I personally prefer to listen to nonfiction books on my iPod because I find them harder to read sometimes and easier to listen to. This is all about personal preference though, I know others who feel the opposite.
Right now I am listening to Mountains Beyond Mountains by Tracy Kidder It is really good. I think I was supposed to read it for my International Social Work class in grad school but never quite got around to it. (Must have been too busy saving the world myself, or just too busy hanging out with my friends) I am glad I am listening to it now. Anyone who is interested in Public Health, Haiti, disease control, or just has a general interest in people who are creating change in the world should definitely check it out.

I just finished listening to Under the Banner of Heaven by Jon Krakauer.
He also wrote Into Thin Air, among other books but this one is about the Mormon religion and also Mormon fundamentalists. Again, this is a book I have wanted to read but could never get into it but listening to it I was enthralled by all the history. I have kind of a weird interest into the FLDS sect and polygamy (Big Love anyone?). I find it so curious and intriguing. Not in a "oh I want to be a polygamist" way but in a, "hmmm isn't it interesting to learn about how other people do things" kind of way. This book got a little long but definitely satisfied my curiousity about the history aspect of things. Does anyone else have any recommendations for good books to listen to?

2 comments:

  1. I finished Mountains Beyond Mountains a few weeks ago! Two others that I liked were Nine Hills to Nambokana and The Glass Castle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah em, I listened to the glass castle earlier this year and liked it, I have Nine Hills to Nambokana to read...made it would be a good listening one...THANKS!

    ReplyDelete